CrimeStoppers Victoria has teamed up with the Motorola Solutions Foundation to bring a four-part podcast acknowledging the incredible work first responders do in our community, while highlighting their risk of being harmed or abused while trying to help.
- Only a phone call away - featuring different lived experiences from call-takers with ESTA (000), Ambulance Victoria and Crime Stoppers
- Expect the unexpected - featuring a Fire Rescue Victoria firefighter, Life Saving Victoria lifeguard and a Victoria Police officer with Proactive Policing Unit
- Working together to keep us safe - featuring an Ambulance Victoria paramedic, a VICSES volunteer and a Victoria Police Superintendent
- No matter the situation - protecting children from abuse and harm, and engaging with those who have been victims of, or engaged in family violence
By understanding more about how first responders serve the community, and what they experience; it is easier to empathise and learn what we can do to ensure they can do their job efficiently as well as get home safely.
It’s an unfortunate fact that while on the job, many first responders are victims of crime and abuse.
- Incidents of assault are on the rise against emergency services workers. The Crime Statistics Agency reported a significant increase of 17.2% from 2019 to 2020.
- Australian Medicare has estimated that work-related stress/stress-related work absence costs the Australian economy $14.8 billion annually.
- One paramedic is assaulted every 50 hours, with 147 paramedics assaulted in 2019.
Together we can rally behind our front-line workers, and act as allies to prevent crimes against first responders.