Inspector-General for Emergency Management (2014 - 2018)
A wide variety of departments, agencies and organisations were responsible for implementation of the 2009 Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission (External link) (VBRC) reforms, including a number from outside the core emergency management sector.
Since August 2014, IGEM monitored implementation of the remaining recommendations and actions from VBRC.
Under this monitoring function, IGEM published an annual progress report on the emergency management sector's progress with implementing the remaining recommendations. IGEM took a similar approach to that taken by the former Bushfires Royal Commission Implementation Monitor from 2011 to 2014.
On 13 October 2016, IGEM’s second annual progress report (2016 Progress Report) was tabled in Parliament. This concluded IGEM’s responsibility for annual progress reporting.
However, it continued to monitor implementation of two remaining ongoing and inter-related actions, reporting their completion directly to the minister:
- Action 49(h) Amend Building Regulations 2006 to adopt performance requirements (reported December 2017)
- Action 49(i) Develop guidelines for retrofitting Class 9 buildings completed through the Victorian Building Authority’s publication of A guide to retrofitting certain existing Class 9 buildings for better protection from bushfire ember attack (External link) (reported July 2018).
Completion of these actions concluded IGEM’s monitoring and reporting of all VBRC recommendations and actions.
To provide a consolidated overview of progress, IGEM reviewed all monitoring reports from both the BRCIM and IGEM, and applied a consistent classification to all 315 actions.
Based on this review:
- 298 actions can be considered complete
- 14 actions can be considered closed – these are actions where the intent could no longer be met, the action had transitioned to business-as-usual, or was deemed no longer relevant or required
- 3 actions were not assigned a status (by the BRCIM).
Read IGEM's implementation reports:
Bushfires Royal Commission Implementation Monitor (2011 - 2014)
From 2011 through to 2014, the Bushfires Royal Commission Implementation Monitor, Mr Neil Comrie AO, APM was responsible for monitoring and reviewing the progress of the State in implementing the recommendations of the 2009 Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission.
The Bushfires Royal Commission Implementation Monitor Act 2011 (the BRCIM Act) required the Implementation Monitor to produce a number of reports:
- Progress Report by 31 July 2011
- Final Report by 31 July 2012
- Annual Report by 31 July 2013
- Annual Report by 31 July 2014
The tabling of the 2014 Annual Report concluded Mr Comrie's responsibilities under the BRCIM Act.
Documents published on the Bushfires Royal Commission Implementation Monitor's website have been archived. If you require access to documents other than those listed above, please email the Inspector-General for Emergency Management .
To find out about the 2009 Victorian Bushfires Royal Commission visit dpc.vic.gov.au